Sunday, November 11, 2012




 A few days ago I ran across this article called "Why the hell does this mouse need to connect to the Internet?" and, finally, someone agrees with me.



I not only have a Razor Naga mouse, but I also have two Razor BlackWidow Ultimate keyboards.  I purchased my mouse and first keyboard back when Synapse was not around.  Being an IT person, I went to Razor's web site to make sure I had the latest and greatest drivers for my gear.  I happen to put the drivers on a USB stick.

Later, I purchased another Blackwidow keyboard for work.  My place of business uses a web proxy to access the Internet and when I purchased this 2nd Blackwidow, my only firmware upgrade option was Synapse tool.  I could not, immediately, update the drivers for my 2nd keyboard because by this time I was being forced to use Synapse which apparently is not HTTP Proxy compliant.

Luckily I had the drivers on my USB stick from my previous purchase and could update that way the next day but what a pain.


Why would any company force you to connect to the Internet for such non-sense?  It's one thing to require one to download drivers from the Internet to update a piece of hardware but it's quite another to require Internet access in order to update the hardware.  Updating the hardware should be as simple as running the driver update program.

No comments:

Post a Comment